Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Reading list

As promised to some, here's the first of a brief reading list (5 stars being the best):

(If your local library does not have the book you want, you can ask them to borrow it for you from another library—this service is called interlibrary loan. It should be a free service from your college or public library.)

1. Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan, © 2000 ***** A wonderfully written novel of turn-of-the-century Appalachian life. The best book I read in that year. It’s an Oprah Book Club pick. You’ll love it, I guarantee.

2. The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory, © 2002 **** Story about Ann Boleyn and her sister, Mary, who was Henry VIII’s mistress before Ann became his wife. Fascinating historical novel of court intrigues, rivalry, love, etc. A page-turner.

3. Year of Wonders, by Geraldine Brooks, © 2001 **** Story about the village hit by the plague during the 17th century in England. “This poignant and powerful account carries the pulsing beat of a sensitive imagination and the challenge of moral complexity,” Publisher’s Weekly.

More next time...

2 Comments:

At 6/19/2005 1:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Vicky, it's been ages since I've had the luxury of browsing thru a book shop.
Why are we pressed for time? Try James Gleick's "Faster". The acceleration of just about everything. The author take notes that we used to go into a shop to buy mustard, now we have to go thru a whole range of chili favoured or low cholesterol mustard or whatever time it takes just to read the label.
For the non-readers, "The Other Boleyn Girl" was made into a BBC drama, which I really enjoyed. It's glorious weather here in Vancouver, so just pause and wonder at nature, wherever you are.

Marguerite

 
At 6/19/2005 8:53 AM , Blogger Vicky said...

Marguerite:

Thanks for your recommendation. I'll try to get hold of "Faster"--very true what it says. Even when I teach students how to do research nowadays, my emphasis is on wise selection, because online searching can result in thousands of hits.

I didn't know "The Other Boleyn Girl" was dramatized. It should be good.

Weather is beautiful here in Charlotte too, but the pesky mosquitoes are out for a good meal. They like Chinese food as much as I do...

Vicky

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home